Wednesday 25 October 2017

Wheel Build

Wheel Building


OMG, almost exactly 2 years later I'm back to the bandsaw build. Workshop sorted and no. 2 daughter in meithrin so I have space and time again.

It took me so long to get to this stage, Matthias came out with plans for a bigger bandsaw so I switched to that one.

I'm following Marius Hornberger's wheel design


Cutting the blanks with my homemade circle cutter.

Laying out the next cut-out.


Clamps. All the clamps. I could clamp the centre by putting a bolt through the circle-cutting-jig pivot hole.

Cutting the bearing hole with an extremely scary adjustable hole cutter. Not fun having that thing whirling around. I couldn't get a clamp close enough to hold down the bearing housing directly so I made a jig to hold them.


Glueing.


Truing the wheels and putting the crown on. I fixed the temporary drive pulley on by using the 4 bearing plate clamping holes.


 Before the wheel was down to the correct diameter I practised putting on the crown.


MDF dust is evil so I rigged up my dust collector close to the action.


Balancing the wheels - i cleaned the grease out of a couple of smaller bearings to make them super low friction

Drilling the hole in the end of the shaft for the retaining bolt.


No comments:

Post a Comment